21 October 2006

About Change and Fakeness. (and finally getting some sleep)

I woke not half an hour ago, haven't washed or eaten. Got a glorious twelve hours of sleep. Finally. These heavy curtains are wonderful.

This is what I spent my half hour on.
Hikaruyuki: The Fantasy

First, if her parents and mentors really did tell her what she relayed, then I have to disagree with them. "...Pick out all of the imperfections you've discovered about yourself ever since freshman year of high school, throw them away, and present a new 'you' to the world"? Not only is throwing out an imperfection more difficult than it sounds, "throwing out" is not quite the right world, isnt it? It sounds...so absolute. As if imperfections are just mud on your face that merely take some water and soap to clean. Yes, strive to be the perfect human who's the most caring, most humble, most friendly, most out-going, most reflective, most intelligent, most accepting, most thoughtful, most humourous, most...!

It doesn't sound natural.

I think...imperfections are like stains on an unbleached cotton t-shirt. The stain is what distinguishes one person from the next. You can be disgusted with it, but if it doesn't wash out (and it's not easy to, the longer you've had that stain), then what? Either try again and again until it fades to something unnoticible, dye the whole shirt into a different color to cover that ugly thing up, or accept it, maybe decorating and changing it into something of merit, and wear it with pride. Some people ignore it (or never even notice it) and probably more would just dye the whole shirt. Dyed shirts are not natural-looking. The other options take more energy, more time. Bleached shirts...well, yes, the stain is gone, but you look blindingly bright and untouchable. You'll probably be less touchable, too, afraid of getting any imperfect stains...

Speaking of shirts, I need to do laundry this weekend or soon.

"I'd like to go back to when I still had an identity. At least back then, I didn't feel like I was playing myself."
Identity, I thought, is who you think you are? Won't you always have an identity, which, in this case, only means that you don't like the mold you're trying to fit into?

I commented, but I'm a little afraid of any backlash. I don't know her well, or even in person, so maybe I shouldn't be saying anything. I often think that despite some of our similarities (that's how I started contacting her), we live in very different environments and have very different views...at least in the realm of social life. Correction: I have a different social life than most people.


tag "mind discovery," tag "philosophy," tag "weltanschauung," or others?

3 comments:

  1. Real life isn't like fiction where there's some author to make sure that you can succeed while staying true to yourself. Rather, it's only a popular story idea because in the real world, most people are forced to adapt to their situation, and so they appreciate a story where the protagonist saves the world/gets the girl/lives happily ever after while staying true to himself, just as they appreciate one where the protagonist receives awesome supernatural powers through random chance. And it's understood that these arent things you should expect to really happen. It's just as much a disservice to tell someone to be true to who they are and believe in themselves as it is to say "see, all you have to do is get bitten by a radioactive spider...", etc.
    Just because a lot of real people have started thinking this way is no excuse.
    To go with your laundry metaphor, if your shirt has a stain you can't get rid of, use it as undershirt or pajamas or cleaning rag, so that the stain is not visible, and get a new, clean shirt to wear in public. Really, who decides to wear dirty clothes proudly? (So if you think this way, why are you even doing laundry? :P)
    Sorry to be cynical.

    Being humble and outgoing are overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL. Don't be sorry you're being cynical. It's you.

    When I said to 'be true', I guess I wasn't specific enough. I don't mean spouting anything that comes in mind. True as in whatever they normally would do.

    Besides, being 'true' doesn't mean being one-deminsioned and all the other good qualities main characters tend to have.

    ...I think I'm too tired (from cooking) to continue on with this. Maybe later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY! I'm not a cynical person :/

    Yeah, true as in whatever they normally would do. Which doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete